Sunday, April 19, 2015

Happy Busy Stuff! And a Star Trek Reference.

Soooo...I had a bootblacking gig yesterday! 

This was a new place for me, the Rainbow Room in Atlantic City, so I wasn't sure what to expect. 

Would my stand fit? As it turned out, no, the space was too small, but that's good too -- the less stress on my back, the better.

Would I know anyone there besides the host? Yes! Some friendly faces and met new ones. 

Would I be busy? No, I wasn't -- but I'm not complaining.

Let me stop here and talk about "complaining."

Of course every Bootblack's preference is to be busy during their shift. More tips, more leather love, and the time flies. But we've all had those moments, hours, when things are slow. Or, in yesterday's case, a new event at a new venue, beautiful spring day -- there's bound to be a lower turnout.

I worked on two pairs of boots and I was thrilled to pieces to work on them.

The first pair: gorgeous, buttery soft oil tan engineer boots. A sexy guy wearing 'em, too. I spent lots of time making sure that Huberd's was worked in. :-)

The second pair: high-shine Corcorans, done whilst the customer was enjoying a cigar and a glass of Scotch. He was so happy and relaxed. Again, I spent lots of time to get the best shine I could.

Some Bootblacks might complain, "Oh, two pairs all night, what a waste of my time." 

I guess it's the glass half-full or half-empty thing. I prefer to see it half-full. I'm just grateful to get the work that I do. 

Some Bootblacks get to do what they love once a week or more. I am lucky if I get once a month. So I feel like saying to them, "Kwitcherbellyakin', it could be a lot worse."

Another good thing: I spent most of today working on leather projects I've been sitting on. I finally had some time to pre-cut paracord for boot laces. I am getting tired of laces falling apart and then having to cut new cord. So I measured and singed the ends and bundled each pair into its own baggy. Black, purple, yellow, red, blue. 

And I finished those boots I was working on all winter. Here is the before:



And here is the after:




Close up of the nasty toe box, before:



And after:


It's easily seen that I haven't fixed everything. I would say this about maxes my skills in shoe repair. I can glue stuff, I can patch, I can burnish, I know how to use dye. 

A lot of Bootblacks might look at these pictures and say, "You should have done xyz" or whatever, and I love the advice, I really do. 

But I decided long ago, I'm not Super Bootblack.

I don't expect to win, much less run for, a major title. I don't have the time, the personality, the looks, the wardrobe, the marketing savvy, all that stuff you need to win titles.

To borrow Dr. McCoy's words...I'm just a simple country Bootblack.

I do the best that I can, and try to learn new things by observing others. That, with good tools and products, plus the love in my heart, will have to be enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment