Tuesday, March 3, 2015

My Achy Breaky Tooth

I am always grateful for my excellent health (knock on wood), but in the dental department, I was not in the best gene pool.

Growing up, I knew every dentist appointment would invariably mean drilling and filling. Despite being a Crest kid. Remember chewing on those funky red pills to see where you missed brushing? Ewww. 

I never took novocaine, because I thought I was Super Girl or something. Or just afraid of needles.

Then when I hit 18, I stopped having cavities and went on my merry way. Until about my mid-40s, when the fillings started falling out and molars began to wear down.

Most recently, my dentist discovered that one of my molars had cracked. A root canal was done, but it didn't work, as I was still having pain. So the tooth is coming out, and in its place will be an implant. 

The first surgery is to remove the tooth, and pack the space with cow bone so the bone can regrow and form a new base for the implant. Then in a few months I will have the implant put in, and then a few months after that, a crown will be fitted for it.

So I just took my last mega-dose of ibuprofen before my surgery tomorrow, and hopefully that will be my first step toward being pain-free. 



No comments:

Post a Comment