Friday, February 27, 2015

Defining Myself

To be thrilled at the opportunity to provide useful service, aroused by a pleasant nod, and satisfied by the proverbial job well done, is the mark of a slave.-- Laura Antoniou, The Marketplace

The above quote really speaks to me, and not because I consider myself a slave. In fact, people who identify as slaves and do their best to live by however they define "slave", have my full respectful admiration.

As a Bootblack, however, every single word in that statement applies to me and how I feel about my service.

I got a lot of helpful responses, both on- and offline, to my most recent post. And I am so grateful to everyone who took their time and energy to help me work these issues out.

I think if there's anyone out there who are fledgling Title-holders, with sashes sparkling in your eyes, I suggest you seek out those in the community who know what they're talking about, and get whatever wisdom you can.

This will be my last post about Titles, but I did want to add one clarification: I have never once been approached to run for any bootblacking title.  I'd be lying if I said that didn't hurt, especially when I hear other folks humblebragging about "all these people telling me to run!" 

But that is when I must look in the mirror, and tell myself to quit whining and just keep shining. Because it's not about me.






No comments:

Post a Comment