Monday, February 23, 2015

Meditations on Art

Yesterday I had the honor of facilitating a bootblacking skillshare with a group of really cool ladies.

Once in a while I am asked to come to a munch or gathering and "teach a class" but I really dislike that phrase. 

I don't consider myself a very good teacher, in the way that we think of a teacher: standing up in front a dozen or so people and sending forth knowledge, in an organized fashion, done in an entertaining style.

There's really only one way I can "teach", and that's by sharing what I know: so I will plop a pair of boots in front of you and guide you along in how I've been taught to do it. 

And that's what we did: everyone had a chance to get their hands dirty and everyone was able to see that what Bootblacks do is not magic; it's just technique, and anyone can learn it.

But there is so very much more, and I can't communicate that through words. It must be done through actions. Through letting you experience the art by actually doing it.

Bootblacking is simple. Clean the leather. Then either condition or polish. 

Simple, but not easy. Because there are decisions you have to make depending on what type of leather you're working on. That's why I believe bootblacking is an art. An art is something that is done with heart. Even the word heart includes art.

Anyone can paint a picture of sunflowers. But only the heart of a Van Gogh could elevate sunflowers to something wonderful.

What's in the heart of a Bootblack? What elevates a simple shoe shine that you get at the airport, to something so sublime and intimate as the experience you get with a good Bootblack? 

Just things I'm thinking about tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment