Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Making a Difference in the Leather World - Is It Possible Without a Title?

I have been trying to figure out this whole "Title" thing and what it should mean to me. 

Up to now I haven't commented on the IMsL logo controversy. Personally it was very upsetting to see that an image of a gun and a purple dildo was chosen to represent Leather women. I applaud the decision to pull the logo -- though I'm still left wondering how the design managed to be chosen in the first place.

In any case, as a Bootblack, I am eligible to run for titles, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about that.

I think running for a title is, first of all, a personal choice. What's good for you might not be good for me. Running for a title is a commitment...some titles are easier to pursue than others. 

I have had a few title winners tell me not to pursue a title. "Because then it just becomes a job," they say. That's easy to tell someone once you've got the title, isn't it? 

I heard of one Bootblack contest in which the contestants had to wear three different leather outfits during the events. I am not sure what that has to do with our craft. And the rule would definitely exclude me, as I can't afford that much leather. 

There are questions I need to answer honestly to myself.


  • What is my personal mission in the Leather community?
  • Do I really need a title in order to carry out that mission?
  • Is it even possible for me to make a difference without a title?
The final bullet point in that list is one I'm going to need some outside help on.













No comments:

Post a Comment